Our Energy Future for Schools, kindergartens and childcare centres is as easy as 123!
There are many ways a school or early learning centre can save money and be more sustainable. For the best outcomes we recommend that you involve children in taking action and embracing sustainable practices.
Independent tailored advice
We know from experience that every school and early learning centre is a little different. That’s why we provide tailored advice that’s just right for your school or centre.
Our assessor will:
- Review energy bills to find potential savings
- Offer a free independent solar assessment
- Conduct on-site assessment for lighting upgrades
- Advise on the most cost-effective energy efficiency options and the best sized solar systems
- Estimate on how much your school or centre can save.
This will ensure you understand the steps you can take to do the right thing for our environment and your school or centre’s bottom line.
First steps – Simple ways to save
Making your school or early learning centre more sustainable does not simply have to involve heating, cooling and lighting only, it can also encompass many other actions to reduce waste and resources.
Just some of the simple things a school can do:
- Turn lights, air conditioners and heaters off in every empty room no matter the time of day
- Turn off computers when not in use
- Turn off printers when not in use
- Set security lighting on triggers or timers, so that it is not on all the time
- Use recycled paper towels instead of electric hand dryers in toilets
- Use economical toilet flush systems
- Review the timers set on water heaters
- Recycle rainwater
- Use recycled notebooks and stationery
- Draught proof windows and doors
- Insulate the roof spaces
- Shade north and west facing windows in summer
- Use energy efficient LED light globes.
A good way to engage pupils is to launch a competition for the best energy saving ideas; a school which involves pupils will achieve a greener way of operating much faster and for much longer.
Once energy usage has been brought down by taking simple actions like those described above, we recommend installing solar. Schools and early learning centres are ideal for using solar, as their hours of operation match the hours that solar power is generated. When you can use the power at the time it is created then it is free!
Call 1300 339 915 if you need more information.